Monday, November 3, 2008

Designing Your Custom Doggie Playpen!

Our terrace which houses my baby pug, Borgy, is currently being fitted with glass windows and screen doors - which incidentally covers the window "grill" where Borgy is leashed to.

So, upon researching other alternative, viable methods on doggy containment, I liked the idea of creating Borgy's very own custom - made playpen (which also relieves neck force on my pug because now he can be "unleashed"! (Pardon the pun!)

Here is a rough draft of my design. I have yet to find a maker who can do this playpen to my satisfaction and budget.. so if you know anyone, please contact me immediately!

Also, your suggestions will be most dearly appreciated! Thanks :D




Download this doggy playpen design here!

I designed this enclosure keeping in mind the hot climate of the Philippines. Unlike other rich puggies, my baby Borgy doesn't have the luxury of having his very own A/C unit (though he has 2 dedicated Electric Fans). I designed the doggie house with a wooden front panel but no side walls so that the air can circulate better but my pug still feels like that space is his own.

For those who would like to make their own custom doggy playpens or houses, please make sure that the doghouse can accomodate your dog standing up and maybe moving in a tight circle. Make sure it isn't too large for him (so that the heat is maintained in cool nights and days), and that it isn't too small that he couldn't move around or stand in it.

I chose to have the Mat inside the doghouse a removable item so that it can be washed and since pugs shed too much hair, it would be easier to clean.

Also, I prefer not to use any plastic because 1.) plastic retains odors more than wood, and 2.) dogs can chew off plastic.

I also don't want to put in any flooring on the whole playpen since I think it would be more difficult to clean it (because again of the excessive shedding) and because the stink of it might stick to my dog.

Remember that this space will be your dog's very own "crib", and like ourselves, we prefer a little bit of this and that. Make sure that your dog will love this space and that he will be very comfortable in it.


Here are other doggie houses and playpens I have seen on the Net that I liked:


A luxurious looking doghouse but it looks strangely open at the back hihihi

This wicker indoor dog house would really look good in a Pottery Barn home :D


A Golden Retriever with a plaid red and white neckerchief would be perfect in this hillbilly-style dog house.
This is just plain sweet for your little pup :D


No comments:

You Are Visitor No.:

Show all blogs